TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: Is that really less work than just pulling the motor?
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: Is that really less work than just pulling the motor?

Posted by ThisIsSparTTa on July 28, 2014 at 2:56 PM
  This message has been viewed 237 times.

In Reply To Is that really less work than just pulling the motor? (n/m) posted by ZaXxon on July 28, 2014 at 02:33 PM

Message You mean dropping the front subframe with the engine supported instead of pulling the engine?

Did my 4th or 5th engine pull this weekend. I'd say best I can do as an amateur, including fun gotchas like bolts that don't want to come out or whatever, is about an hour of work with 1 person and another 5 with another hand or two. This is to get engine disconnected from everything, then exhaust, driveshaft, and tranny out and for the hoist I've been using also front bumper off with bumper bar removed. Then pulling the engine, getting clutch/flywheel off and getting it onto a stand. Probably about the same amount of time going in the opposite direction, as a minimum.

Haven't completely pulled front subframe, but disconnecting lower control arms, tension rods, PS rack rods and what not on both sides, supporting engine, and then dropping subframe, and doing the reverse seems much much much faster. I guess at worst you'd need to get your alignment redone, no?

Seems to me like dropping subframe would be a much quicker way to attack this problem with less potential headaches.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.